30+ useful organisations to help you get ready for adult life –
When you’re growing up, life can feel:
- stressful 😟
- chaotic 🥴
- lonely 💔
- hard 😥
- unwelcoming 😔
You might find yourself feeling like you’re all alone and that there is no support out there for you.
The good news is that you’re definitely not alone, and that there are 100s of organisations out there to help you!
We’ve put together a list of our favourite organisations available to help you prepare for grown-up life.
All UK 🗺️
Health and emergencies 🏥
- 999 🚑 – In the UK you can call 999 in a medical or mental health emergency. 999 can help you when someone is seriously ill or injured, and their life is at risk.
- Hospitals 🏥- Hospitals provide treatment for sick or injured people.
- Fire and rescue 🚒 – Fire and rescue extinguish fires and protect people in other emergencies like road traffic collisions.
- Police 🚓- Police officers protect people and their belongings, make sure that the law is being followed, investigate crimes, and try to prevent crimes from being committed.
- Dentists 🦷 – Dentists help people to treat and prevent problems with their mouths and teeth.
- Pharmacies 💊 – Pharmacies are medicine experts, who offer medical advice and provide medicines for a range of illnesses.
Local area 🗺️
- Libraries 📚 – Libraries offer a lot of helpful services for local areas like free book borrowing, free internet access, free book clubs, free social clubs, free education/lessons, free CD/DVD loans, printing services, and free activities for children. They are also a free warm, quiet space where you can do work and studying.
- Local council 🏛️ – Local councils look after important services for your area like schools, nursing homes, providing housing, building houses, maintaining roads, maintaining parks, waste collection, help with disabilities, business support, collecting tax money, and pest control.
- Local charities 🌎 – Charities offer lots of free support for things like helping people who are poor, education, protecting the environment, caring for animals, making sure that people are treated fairly, and improving local areas.
- Social services 🤝 – Social services help with family problems, and can help to make sure that children and parents/carers are kept safe and are well looked after, especially during stressful times e.g. if a parent is struggling with addiction, illness, violence, or disability.
- Schools/colleges/universities 🏫 – Schools help to prepare people for life, and teach things like reading, writing, maths, how to pass exams and get qualifications for different topics.
UK charities 💓
- Citizens Advice 📞- Citizen’s Advice offer free, confidential advice on almost anything including money, work, legal advice, and housing.
- Samaritans 😔 – Samaritans provides support to anyone in emotional distress, struggling to cope, or at risk of suicide. They have a 24 hour helpline that you can call for help.
- Grief Encounter ❤️🩹 – Grief Encounter offer support for young people after someone close to them has died. They offer a free and confidential helpline and web chat service.
- Childline 🧒 – Childline is a free, private, and confidential service where people under 19 can talk about anything. Calling Childline is free and doesn’t show up on the phone bill
- NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention for Cruelty against Children) 👪 – The NSPCC provide support and tips to help keep children safe. They also have a helpline where you can report concerns about the safety of a child.
- Macmillan Cancer Support 🦠 – Macmillan provide emotional, practical, physical, and financial support to people living with cancer.
- PDSA (People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals) 🐶 – PDSA provide free and low-cost treatment to pets whose families are in financial difficulty.
- Barnardo’s 👪 – Barnardo’s offer counselling and support for children, young people and their parents to overcome difficult situations like alcohol struggles, mental health problems, violence, and abuse.
- Age UK 🧓- Age UK provide support, companionship and advice to older people.
Helpful businesses 🏢
- Money Saving Expert 💳 – (Business) This is a free website that offers money tips, news, and information to help you manage your money better. It is one of the UK’s biggest money websites, founded by Martin Lewis who has been nicknamed “the most trusted man in Britain”.
- This is Money 💰 – (Business) This is a free website that offers financial news and advice, and can be very useful for learning about money. They have a weekly podcast discussing the latest financial news.
- Working Wales 💼 – A free government service to help people in Wales to find a job! 👩💼
- The Young Person’s Guarantee 🙋♀️ – A free government service to help any under 25s in Wales to get into education or training, to get a job, or become self-employed. 💼
- Shelter Cymru 🏠 – A charity to help people in Wales struggling to get a home, offering free, confidential, and independent advice. 🏡
- Mind Cymru 🧠 – A charity to help people in Wales with their mental health, offering help, information, advice and local services.
- NHS 111 Wales (National Health Service) 👩⚕️- The free way to contact the National Health Service in Wales for health information, advice, and to access urgent health care.
- Welsh Refugee Council 🗺️- Supporting people who have left their countries (refugees and asylum seekers) to find a place to stay, work to support themselves, access to English classes, legal advice and community networks so they have what they need to begin again in their new homes.
- Welsh Women’s Aid 🙍♀️- A charity supporting survivors of all forms of violence against women, and their children. Welsh Women’s aid offer information about domestic violence and direct support through their “Live Fear Free” helpline.
- Tŷ Hafan 🤒 – A charity that provides care for children in Wales with illnesses that are unlikely to be cured, and may limit how long they can live for.
- Mind England 🧠 – Are a charity to help anyone in England with their mental health, offering help, information, advice and local services.
- National Careers Service 💼 – The National Careers Service provides careers information, advice, and guidance. They help people in England to make decisions on their career.
Northern Ireland 🍀
- Cancer Focus Northern Ireland 🦠 – Cancer Focus are a charity that help people improve their health and support families affected by cancer.
- Disability Action Northern Ireland ♿ – Disability Action provide advice and support to people with disabilities.
- Smart Works Scotland 👩💼 – Smart Works Scotland are a charity that give unemployed women clothes, coaching, and confidence to help secure a job.
- Scottish Women’s Aid 🙋♀️ – A charity supporting survivors of all forms of violence against women, and their children. Scottish Women’s aid offer information about domestic violence and direct support through their helpline.
So that’s it!
Hopefully you’re feeling more confident about knowing which organisations are there to help you navigate grown-up life.
If you know any friends or family members who might benefit from learning how to become a grown-up, share this post with them!
Finally, don’t forget to check out our similar articles below!
Similar articles to “30+ useful organisations to help you get ready for adult life 🎓” ⬇️
for free daily Grown-Up lessons 🙌🎉