15 quick and easy ways to make extra money –
Whether it’s to:
- Save up for something you want to buy 🎁
- Pay an unexpected bill 🧾
- Help out in an emergency 🚑
- Save up more money as a safety net 🥅
- Start a side hustle or business 💼
There are plenty of reasons to want to make some extra cash.
Here are our top ways to easily make extra money!
Disclaimer: This website provides information for guidance and educational purposes only. The Grown-Up School does not provide regulated financial advice. You can seek independent financial advice from a suitably qualified and regulated professional advisor. Check out our disclaimer policy for more information.
1. Sell things 🏷️
Selling things can be one of the quickest ways to make money. 💨
- Selling things you already own 🔁
- Buying things to sell them at a higher price 📈
You could sell things like:
- Old belongings – games consoles, decorations, clothes. Apps like Facebook Marketplace, Shpock, Ebay, and Vinted can be helpful for selling your belongings (make sure to read their guidance on how to sell safely!) 👕
- Sweets – gift sets, sweet boxes 🍫
- Soaps and beauty products 🧼
- Food you’ve cooked – cakes, meals, desserts👩🍳
- Crafts/art you’ve made – you could even source free materials from people’s unwanted items, recycled items, or things found in nature🖼️
- Food that you’ve grown e.g. herbs, garden vegetables 🥦
- Plants that you’ve grown e.g. flowers, house plants, cacti 🌻
2. Gardening 🌱
Keeping on top of a garden can be a lot of work, meaning that a lot of people are willing to pay to help maintain their gardens. 👩🌾
You could offer people services like:
- Mowing their lawns for them
- Pulling up weeds ☘️
- Watering plants
- Planting new plants 🌱
- Trimming bushes
- Sweeping up leaves 🍂
- Clearing leaves from guttering
- Harvesting garden vegetables 🥕
- Designing garden landscapes
- Making garden improvements e.g. laying paving 🪨
3. Dog walking 🐕
Owning a dog can be a lot of work, and often people don’t have time to walk their dogs as much as they need to. 🏃♀️
This means that a lot of people are willing to pay you to walk their dog for them!
You could offer services like:
- Visiting people’s pets whilst they’re at work 💼
- Doggy day care (looking after dogs in your home)
- Taking dogs for walks 🐕
- Playing with pets at their own home
If you’re looking to start offering dog care services it’s important that you:
- Understand different dogs’ needs and how they behave
- Know how to keep dogs safe e.g. only walking dogs together that are friendly and won’t fight ⚠️
- Clean up after dogs – especially in public!
- Learn your local laws about dogs e.g. keeping dogs on leads, not letting them near farm animals 👩⚖️
4. Cleaning 🧽
Cleaning is a never-ending challenge, that people are almost always willing to pay to avoid doing.
This can be a great opportunity to earn extra money!
To earn extra money, you could offer to help people with:
- Dirty dishes 🍽️
- Bathrooms 🚽
- Doing laundry
- Helping to tidy and organize a house/cupboards
- Window cleaning 🪟
- Cleaning clothes
- Taking rubbish to the tip 🗑️
- Selling old clothes on secondhand websites on behalf of the customer
- Cleaning cars 🚗
- Cleaning dirty ovens
- Power washing driveways, patios and garden furniture 💦
- Cleaning leaves out of gutters 🍂
5. Ironing 👕
Ironing is a never-ending chore that many people hate doing! 😒
This means that lots of people will be willing to pay you to do their ironing for them.
To make some extra money, you could offer ironing services for people like:
- Washing dirty clothes and then ironing them for people
- Taking people’s clothes to dry cleaners for them
- Completing people’s weekly ironing chores for them
6. Beauty services 💅
If you love all things beauty, you could make extra money from offering beauty services.
You could offer services like:
- Painting nails 💅
- Doing makeup 💄
- Styling hair 💇♀️
- Giving fashion advice 👖
- Removing body hair e.g. plucking eyebrows ✂️
If you decide to offer beauty services to make extra money, make sure to regularly clean your beauty tools e.g. scissors, brushes, to avoid passing germs between clients! 🦠
7. Babysitting 👶
Raising children can be very hard work, and very difficult for parents to juggle. 🤹♀️
This means that there is always a lot of need for babysitters!
Parents often need someone to care for their children, for things like:
- Getting a night off parenting duty to rest 😴
- Emergencies e.g. visiting family at the hospital 🚑
- Giving them time to work 💼
- Giving them time to do chores 🧽
If you become a babysitter, it’s very important that you:
- Check local laws for looking after children – you might have to become a legally registered child minder depending on the babysitting you do 👩⚖️
- Know how to care for children
- Understand the needs of the different aged children you’re looking after e.g. babies need different care to teenagers 🍼
- Aren’t looking after too many children on your own
- Listen to the parents’ instructions for caring for their child 👂
- Understand how to keep children safe e.g. avoiding choking hazards
- Show the parents that you can be trusted by them 🤝
8. Handy tasks 🛠️
If you are good with handywork and power tools, there is plenty of extra money to be made!
You can help with things like:
- Putting up shelves 🗄️
- Installing TV wall brackets 📺
- Putting nails in the wall to hang pictures 🖼️
- Building furniture 🔨
- Putting up curtain poles 🪟
- Moving heavy objects 📦
- Helping people to move house e.g. carrying furniture 🛋️
- Bleeding radiators (clearing air from them so that they heat up properly) 🔥
- Fixing furniture 🛠️
- Decorating 🖌️
- Changing lightbulbs 💡
- Pulling up old flooring 🔧
- Completing car maintenance e.g. topping up oil and washer fluid🚗
9. Tech support 💻
If you’re tech savvy, there’s a lot of spare money you can make from offering tech support services.
You can support people with things like:
- Setting up printers 🖨️
- Helping people set up their doorbell cameras 🚪
- Setting up new devices for people e.g. helping them transfer their settings to a new phone 📱
- Managing their WiFi connection e.g. setting it up, changing passwords 📶
- Speeding up their computers 💻
- Fixing broken devices 🛠️
10. Pet grooming 🐩
Grooming pets can take a lot of time and effort to do, so lots of people are willing to pay to avoid doing it.
If you’re great with animals, you could offer services such as:
- Bathing pets 🛁
- Trimming pet nails 💅
- Cutting/styling/shaving pet fur ✂️
- Dyeing pet fur (with pet friendly dyes!) Dyeing pets can help to avoid them getting stolen because they look more unique 🎨
11. Busking/performing 🎸
Have you got a secret talent?
Did you know that this can help you to make extra money!
- Playing an instrument 🎹
- Dancing 💃
- Singing 👩🎤
- Telling jokes 🥸
- Acting 🎭
- Doing magic tricks 🪄
People could pay you for your time, to perform for them.
You could perform:
- On the street e.g. busking (check with your local government/council to check if there are any rules you need to follow for this)
- At restaurants or coffee shops (with their permission)
- By creating an entertainment evening at your local community centre or theatre
- In talent competitions
12. House/pet/plant sitting 🏠
Very often when people want to go on holiday or trips for work, they have things that need looking after at home.
They could need someone to do things like:
- House sit 🏡 e.g. stay in their home to protect their belongings/make it look like someone is living there
- Pet sit 🐈 e.g. visiting to feed pets, or have the pets looked after in someone else’s home
- Plant sit 🪴 e.g. water or feed their plants whilst they’re away
If you know people who trust you, you could offer to house/pet/plant sit for them, in order to earn some extra money.
Some people create entire businesses around house/pet/plant sitting! 💼
13. Delivery driving 🚗
If you’re lucky enough to own a car, you can make extra money making deliveries.
This could be for things like:
- Your local takeaway 🥡
- Delivering shopping in your local area 🛍️
If you know a lot about a certain topic or have experience in it, you can make money with it!
You can offer to teach or coach people for things like:
- Helping someone pass an exam 🎓
- Giving someone lessons in a particular topic e.g. music lessons, dance lessons 🎹
- Getting better at something e.g. fitness coaching, confidence coaching 🏋️♀️
15. Switch bank accounts 🏦
Did you know that some banks actually give you money for opening an account with them? 🤑
They either give you real money, or loyalty points as a reward for getting an account. This is called cashback!
Some people switch their bank accounts regularly to take advantage of the free money you can get for switching accounts! 💷
So that’s it!
You can earn extra money quickly and easily by doing things like:
- Selling things🏷️
- Dog walking🐕
- Beauty services💅
- Handy tasks🛠️
- Tech support💻
- Pet grooming🐩
- House/pet/plant sitting🏠
- Delivery driving🚗
- Switching bank accounts🏦
If you know any friends or family members who might benefit from learning about quick and easy ways to make extra money, share this post with them!
Finally, don’t forget to check out our similar articles below!
Similar articles to “15 quick and easy ways to make extra money” ⬇️
for free daily Grown-Up lessons 🙌🎉