How to build your personal brand –
Think about your favourite celebrity. What things come to mind when you hear about them?
The things that come to mind when you hear a person’s name, is their personal brand.
What kind of things do you want people to think about, when they hear your name?
What do you want your personal brand to be?
If you build your personal brand, you can change what people think of you.
This can help you to accelerate your career by becoming known for:
- What you’re good at (talents and skills)
- Your knowledge
- Your achievements
- What you care about
- Your personality
- Your uniqueness
How to build your personal brand 💃🕺
1. First, check your current brand 🔎
People form opinions on you, based on…
- Say to people
- Do for work
- Post on social media and professional networks
- Look like
- Put in your CV
- Say in interviews, articles, and online
- Treat others
- Use body language
- Spend time with
- Collaborate with
- Are friendly with
- Aren’t friendly with
- Work with
- Spend your time
- Go on holiday
So the first place to start, is to check your current brand.
- Think about the ways we’ve mentioned above, that people use to form an opinion on you. What impression do you give people? Is there anything you would change?
- Google yourself – what comes up? Will it help your career path?
- Ask the people around you what comes to mind when they think of you. You could ask teachers, colleagues, friends, customers, and family. Do you like what they think? Would you want to change what they think?
2. Decide what you want your brand to be 🤔💭
What do you want people to think about you?
What are your goals? – How will building your brand help you?
How can you speak, treat others, use body language, work, or write to make people think differently about you?
What are you good at? What talents do you want to be known for?
What do you care about? – How will you get this across to people?
How do you want to stand out from the crowd in your area of work? What makes you unique?
What are you knowledgeable about? Can you use this to help your brand?
Who do you want to help through your work? What kind of people do you want to love your brand?
Who are your current audience, what kind of audience do you want to attract?
What can you say, do, wear, post, look like, write, eat, put in your CV, or say in interviews to make people think differently about you?
Who can you spend time with, collaborate with, be friendly with (or unfriendly with), or work with, to make people think differently about you?
Where can you spend time, live, go on holiday, or work to make people think differently about you?
How can you build credibility in your area of work, so that people trust you as an expert?
3. Make a plan to get there, then follow it! 📝✍️
Once you’ve decided what you want your brand to be, decide what you need to do to get there. Make your brand visible!
- Be consistent – if you change your brand a lot, it may confuse people
- Be as authentic as possible, to make your brand believable
- Stop and think before posting online – does this fit with your brand?
So that’s it! Hopefully you’ve learned more about how to build your personal brand.
Finally, don’t forget to check out our similar articles below!
Similar articles to “How to build your personal brand” ⬇️
for free daily Grown-Up lessons 🙌🎉