5 ways to improve your mental wellbeing –
What we're covering..
These days, it can be common to feel low, and struggle with your mental wellbeing.
According to MIND, 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health problem of some kind each year in England.
Among challenges like:
- the COVID-19 pandemic 😷
- cost of living crisis 💸
- the loneliness epidemic 🥺
- pressure from school 🎓
- pressure from work 💼
it can be really common to feel things like:
- loneliness 😔
- stress 😬
- sadness 🥺
- low self-esteem 😥
Did you know, the National Health Service in the UK have listed 5 evidence-backed steps you can follow, to improve your mental wellbeing?
Here are our top 5 steps to improve your mental wellbeing. 🧠
1. Get active 🏃♀️
You’ve probably heard this one already, but it’s true!
Getting active can have a huge impact on how positive you feel. ☀️
One of the best ways to get into the habit of being active is to make it fun.
There are lots of fun ways to get active like:
- dog walking 🐕
- walking with friends 🧑🤝🧑
- trampolining 🦘
- rock climbing 🧗♀️
- hiking 🏞️
- treasure hunts 🗺️
- escape rooms 🔒
- gardening 🌱
- playing games 🏓
- dancing 💃
2. Focus on “right now” ⌚
As humans we tend to spend a lot of time worrying about the past and future, which stops us from enjoying what’s happening “right now”.
So – why not spend some time enjoying right now?
You can do things like:
- Meditating 🧘♀️
- Writing journals about the things you’re grateful for ✍️ (20 ways to practice gratitude 🙏)
- Focusing on your senses and experiencing them – what can you smell, see, touch, hear, taste? 👅
- Enjoying the moment and doing things you love – going on walks, hanging out with friends, eating delicious food 🎉
- Paying close attention to how you feel 💔
- Trying new experiences 🧗♀️
3. Connect with people🤝
Your relationships and the people around you can have a huge impact on your mental wellbeing. 🧠
Good relationships and feeling connected to other people can improve your mental wellbeing, making you feel feel happy, confident, safe, and supported. 🥰
On the other hand – relationship struggles can damage your mental wellbeing and make you feel sad, insecure, unsafe, and unsupported. 💔
To connect to others, you could do things like:
- regularly make an effort to see friends and family
- organise social events
- try to meet new people and broaden your social circle
- take time to talk to the people you see day-to-day and learn about them
- start a new hobby, and connect with people who do that hobby too
- build upon and improve your existing relationships
- replace bad relationships with healthier new ones
- reach out to someone you haven’t spoken to in a while
4. Learn new skills 🛠️
Learning and achieving new things can make you feel amazing, and make a huge difference to improve your mental wellbeing.
So – get your learning cap on, and try doing something new!
You could try something like:
- Doing an online course
- Getting creative – making art, crafts, music, writing stories, cooking – creating things! 🎨
- Learning how to fix things e.g. repairing clothes, fixing a broken bicycle
- Trying out a new instrument e.g. ukuleles can be relatively inexpensive, and there are plenty of free tutorials online 🎸
- Learn to cook a new recipe
- Set yourself a challenge 🧗♀️
5. Give to others 🎁
It’s common to feel low when you don’t feel needed or don’t have a purpose in life.
Helping others can be a huge way to connect to others and improve your mental wellbeing.
You could do things like:
- volunteer for a charity
- smile when you pass people in the street 😊
- make crafts e.g. cakes, jewelry and give them away as gifts
- surprise someone with a gift 🎁
- think of creative ways to cheer people up when they’re down
- ask people more questions – it makes them feel really good about themselves! 🎤
- give someone a compliment
- do litter picking 🗑️
- raise money for a good cause
So that’s it!
To improve your mental wellbeing, you can:
- Get active 🏃♀️
- Focus on “right now” ⌚
- Connect with people🤝
- Learn new skills 🛠️
- Give to others 🎁
If you know any friends or family members who might benefit from learning about how to improve your mental wellbeing, share this post with them!
Finally, don’t forget to check out our similar articles below!
Similar articles to “5 ways to improve your mental wellbeing 🧠” ⬇️
for free daily Grown-Up lessons 🙌🎉