How to be more adaptable –
What we're covering..
Do you cope well when things change? 😎
Change can be scary and difficult to cope with.
Sometimes change is in our control, but most of the time it isn’t. 🤷♀️
Learning to adapt well to changes in life can help to reduce your stress, and also make you more valuable to an employer.
Why adaptability is important 👈
1. Workplaces are constantly changing 🏢
Thanks to new technology, workplace settings change quickly and frequently. This means that it is increasingly important for employees to be adaptable.
Things that can change for you at work include:
- Your working hours becoming more flexible and changing
- Who you work for – you could find yourself working for multiple employers at once as a contractor or freelancer
- Where you work – you could be asked to work at home, a different location, or even shared offices
- The technology you work with – you could be asked to work with new computers, software
- Your job role – you might be asked to take on different responsibilities or roles at work
- People that you work with – people are constantly changing their jobs, moving to different teams, it is important to be able to work with lots of different people!
2. Improving your personal life 💖
Being an adaptable person can make you:
- A better friend and family member
- A better communicator
People prefer being communicated with in different ways. If you can adapt the way that you speak to others, it is easier to build positive relationships.
- More resilient
Life can throw lots of difficult challenges your way, adapting to them can help you to thrive and be resilient in difficult situations.
What do adaptable people look like? 😎
An adaptable person:
- Tries new things
- Looks for opportunities to grow and change things
- Is resourceful
- Thinks ahead – what changes might happen in the future? How can you be prepared for them?
- Thinks and speak positively – changes can be difficult, being positive makes it easier
- Is curious and open-minded
How to be more adaptable 🏄♀️
1. Keep an open mind 🧠
Think about the last time you tried something new and really enjoyed it. ✨
- Found your new favourite food? 🍔
- Tried a new TV show and loved it? 📺
- Listened to a new song? 🎶
- Made a new friend? 🤝
Trying new things helps us to find things that we absolutely love. 💖
To find these amazing things that we love, you need to be open-minded about trying them out in the first place!
Try to keep an open mind when you see changes coming your way – they might turn into something really good, or you’ll learn more about the things you don’t like!
2. See mistakes as an opportunity to learn 👩🏫
Changes can feel uncomfortable, and if change doesn’t go well for us, it can be tempting to think things like:
- I don’t want to try that again!
- Change is too stressful.
- I want to stay in my comfort zone next time.
- Change isn’t worth it!
Instead of letting the past mistakes put you off, you should see them as a learning opportunity! 🤓
Think about it – every time something has changed, you’ve probably learned a lot from it.
Seeing change as a learning opportunity can make it far less scary. 👻
3. Embrace learning 🤓
The world is constantly changing, which brings lots of opportunity to learn new things. 🌎
It’s difficult to escape change! 🏃♀️
So- instead of trying to avoid change, why not embrace it? 🤗
The more you practice adapting to changes, the more adaptable you become. 💪
Instead of seeing change as a scary thing, why not get yourself excited about the opportunity to learn?
4. Expect change to happen 🔮
Change is always going to happen, but it sometimes makes it easier if it doesn’t take you by surprise.
Keep an eye out for changes on the horizon, so that you can prepare yourself for it early, and make it less stressful. 🕵️♀️
5. Stay positive! ☀️
Difficult situations like changes are a huge part of day-to-day life, and it can be harder to get through them if you struggle to stay positive. 🌧️
Staying positive can help you to:
- Feel more confident
- Have great friendships
- Feel included
- Encourage others
- Overcome challenges
- Stay calm
- Cope with work, school, and home life
Check out our article How to stay positive ☀️, to learn tips on how to stay positive!
So that’s it!
Here are our main tips to become more adaptable:
How to be more adaptable
- Keep an open mind
- See mistakes as an opportunity to learn
- Embrace learning
- Expect change to happen
- Stay positive!
Hopefully you’re feeling more confident about becoming more adaptable.
If you know any friends or family members who might benefit from learning about being adaptable, share this post with them!
Finally, don’t forget to check out our similar articles below!
Similar articles to “How to be more adaptable” ⬇️
for free daily Grown-Up lessons 🙌🎉